Communication Instructor September 1999 – Present
Communication & Media Faculty Department Bel Air, California
American Jewish University
• Created College of Arts & Sciences Communication and Media program.
• Develop communication course curriculum for communication department.
• Lecture and instruct college communication courses including:
Public Speaking; Persuasive Communication; Small Group Communication; Mass Communication; Cross-Cultural Communication; Communication Ethics; Political Communication; News & Public Opinion; Argumentation & Debate; Children & Media; Popular Culture; Leadership Seminar.
• Lead University study skills and career development workshops for MBA, MAEd and undergraduate students, including:
Written Communication; Oral Presentations; Class Participation; Resume Writing; Interviewing; Time & Stress Management; Memory Management; Achieving Life-Work Balance; Leading with Emotional Intelligence; Power & Politics in the Workplace.
• Chaired communication department while supervisor was on sabbatical.
• Managed 5 faculty members and directed all departmental administration.
Communication Coach January 2005 – Present
Organic Communication Los Angeles, California
• Coach executives, managers, educators and students in communication and leadership skills.
• Facilitate workshops, seminars and retreats in communication skills, including:
Interpersonal Communication; Persuasive Communication; Cross-Cultural Communication; Meeting Facilitation; Presentation Skills; Networking; Conflict Resolution.
See descriptions: https://organiccomm.com/services/communication-coaching/
• Facilitate workshops, seminars and retreats in leadership skills, including:
Team Building; Innovative Thinking & Creativity Training; Authentic Leadership; Values for Leadership; Vision, Mission & Goals Planning; Success Management.
See descriptions: https://organiccomm.com/leadership-success-training/
• Provide speechwriting and press release training to senior team members of organizations.
• Train executives to cater key communication messages to targeted audiences.
• Coach corporate, nonprofit and academic teams, including:
LAUSD, LA County Board of Supervisors, USC, L.A. Chamber of Commerce, Kaiser Permanente, Chrysalis, Coro Southern California Executive Fellows and Full-Time Fellows, Hartzell Aerospace, Proskauer Rose, Mintz Levin, Buchalter Nemer.
Communication Instructor Sept 2002 – Dec 2004
University of Southern California Los Angeles, California
• Taught stand-alone sections of communication and business courses at USC’s Annenberg School for Communication and Marshall School of Business, including:
Communication as a Social Science; Communication as a Liberal Art;
Rhetoric; Interpreting Popular Culture; Organizational Behavior.
Political Communication Specialist May 2003 – June 2004
Metropolitan Transportation Authority/LA Metro Los Angeles, California
• Served as spokesperson and official representative of the MTA before county, regional, state and federal agencies and commissions.
• Developed legislative goals and made policy recommendations in support of the Transportation Authority’s operations, funding and special programs.
• Planned the Gold Line to Pasadena light rail grand opening event with gold medal Olympians representing UCLA and USC.
• Worked with LA Metro directors to develop communications materials including newsletters, publications, signage, websites, advertisements, brochures, video, radio and public service announcements, press releases and press events advisories.
Deputy to L.A. City Councilmember Mike Feuer June 1999 – June 2001
Los Angeles City Council Los Angeles, California
• Served as Councilman’s spokesperson at official public hearings.
• Served as spokesperson on City environmental, arts, health and humanities committees.
• Authored motions and press releases.
• Analyzed community trends and made policy recommendations.
• Managed six Council Aides. Addressed and monitored constituent concerns.
Television Production Associate Dec 1998 – Nov1999
Galanty and Company, Inc. Santa Monica, CA.
• Assisted Executive Producer and President in production of TV spots for political candidates and policy initiatives.
• Edited and supervised scripts.
• Served as liaison to campaign consultants.
Television Production Assistant Dec 1998 – Feb 1999
KCET – TV Hollywood, CA
• Assisted Executive Director and VP in production of public affairs news program.
• Researched and devised news segments.
• Conducted field reporting.
• Scheduled guest speakers. Assisted in script editing/writing.
Rotary International U.S. & the Netherlands
Ambassadorial Scholar June 2000 – June 2003
• Promoted international understanding between American and Dutch citizens.
• Lectured on American policy, culture and media to Dutch audiences.
• Led presentations on Dutch political and communication systems to American audiences.
• Attended European Union conferences in Brussels and presented original papers about the coverage of European integration in the media.
Coro Southern California Los Angeles, CA.
Public Affairs Fellow Sept 1998 – June 1999
• Selected from national pool of candidates to participate in intensive leadership program.
• Underwent rigorous training in effective communication, facilitation, problem solving, project management, community organizing, consensus building and governance.
• Coordinated political campaigns.
• Consulted for the following agencies:
Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky
Los Angeles Unified School District
KCET-TV’s public affairs program, Life & Times
State Employment Development Department
Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO
Phil Angelides for State Treasurer Campaign
Doctor of Education Candidate; Executive Doctoral Program; Jim Joseph Fellow
Focusing on Adult Learning and Experiential Education
Davidson School of Education/Columbia University Teacher’s College – NY, NY, 2011- Present
Co-Active Leadership Coaching and Training Program
Coaches Training Institute, Los Angeles, CA – 2006 – 2008
Master of Arts, Communication Management; Summa Cum Laude
Annenberg School for Communication, University of Southern California – L.A., CA, 2003
Graduate Certificate, European Communication Studies; Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar
International School for Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Amsterdam, NL, 2002
Bachelor of Arts, English Literature & Political Science; Merit Scholar; Magna Cum Laude
Lee College, University of Judaism – Los Angeles, California, 1998
• Language and culture-based programs in American public charter schools
• Experiential initiatives in adult learning programs
• Social media communication of influential leaders
• European Union coverage in European, American and Middle Eastern media
• Public transportation’s image in media and society
• Attitude change campaigns
• News and public opinion formation; public affairs news programs; human rights; global governance; surveillance; communication ethics; popular culture and advertising; persuasive communication; influence theory; information design; communication policy.
AWARDS & SERVICE:
• Selection Day Judge, Coro Southern California. Serve as judge in day-long selection day process for prospectives seeking fellowship participation in highly competitive leadership training program. 2008, 2010, 2013.
• Teaching & Research Assistantship, USC Annenberg School for Communication. Full-tuition for Master’s in Communication Management program.
Academic years 2002 – 2004.
• Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship, Westwood Village Club of Rotary International. $25,000 scholarship for graduate work in European Communication Studies at the University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Academic year 2001 – 2002.
• Public Speaker, Lay Leader, Salvin Leadership Development Institute,
Anti-Defamation League. Los Angeles, Washington, D.C. 1999 – 2001.
• Public Service Excellence Award, awarded by Los Angeles Mayor and City Council. June, 2001.
• Editor, Coro Leadership Review Annual Journal. Feb – May 2000.
• Public Affairs Achievement Award, awarded by CA Senator Robert Hertzberg.
• Commencement Speaker, University of Judaism’s College of Arts & Sciences.
• Academic Excellence Award, Lee College, University of Judaism. May, 1998.
• Sigma Tau Delta, International English Honor Society. 1996 – 1998.
• Merit Scholarship, Lee College, University of Judaism. Four-year full-tuition scholarship for academic years 1994 – 1998.